Place page, Piazza Eremitani, 8, 35121 Padova, Italy
+39 049 2010020
www.cappelladegliscrovegni.it/eng/index_e.htm

The Scrovegni Chapel, or Cappella degli Scrovegni, is a church in Padua, Italy, that is considered to be a masterpiece in the history of painting in Italy and Europe in the 14th century. Most importantly, it is thoughT to be the most complete series of frescoes executed by Giotto in his mature age, completed in about 1305. As Giotto wrote at the time: “The chapel presents very simple architecture: a rectangular hall with a barrel vault, an elegant gothic triple lancet window on the façade, tall, narrow windows on the southern wall, and a polygonal apse, later raised to contain the belfry".

The frescoes follow three main themes: the lives of Joachim and Anna; the Virgin Mary's life; and accounts of Christ's life and death. The lower parts of the walls contain a series of frescoes illustrating Vices and Virtues in allegory. (The chapel was comissioned by Enrico Scrovegni, whose family fortune was made through the practice of usury, which at this time meant charging interest when loaning money, which at the time was considered one of the worst sins.)

The frescoed panels are noted for their emotional intensity, sculptural figures, and naturalistic space. Between the main scenes Giotto used a faux architectural scheme of painted marble decorations and small recesses.